Potential data loss when using Instant VM Recovery
Performing Instant VM Recovery in VMware vSphere environments may result in data loss when using the quick migration feature to move published VM disks to production storage to finalize the recovery. This issue was identified internally by Veeam quality control in late 2019, and the fix was included (among others) in version 20191210 of Update 4b. However, no support KB article was created to highlight that this particular issue was fixed, because its scope was originally thought to be much smaller.
Your environment is not affected if:
- Your VMware vSphere license includes the Storage vMotion feature because in this case, Veeam will finalize Instant VM Recovery using this technology, OR
- You installed Update 4b after the update availability notification in Veeam Backup & Replication™ console in January 2020 (or in December 2019 through the 20191210 distribution package).
If you aren’t in the situation described above, you are strongly advised to schedule a maintenance window promptly and apply the update as soon as possible.
- If you upgraded to Update 4b prior to version 20191210 availability, or if you are not sure when you upgraded, please download and install the patch from this KB article.
- If you are running Update 4a (build 188.8.131.5253) or Update 4 (build 184.108.40.20615), please download and install Update 4b 20191210 from KB2970 (or from Veeam web-site).
- Download the patch and extract ZIP file to your backup server.
- Check the current version of Veeam Backup & Replication. It must be 220.127.116.1166 (Update 4b).
- Make sure that no jobs are running and close the console.
- Right-click on the installation file and click “Run as administrator”.
- Go through the setup wizard to deploy the patch.
This patch is a cumulative hotfix rollup for Veeam Backup & Replication Update 4b which also includes the following previously released hot fixes in the single package:
- Backup to Tape Jobs fail with “Tape Error: 1117” (KB2983)
- Potential data loss during Export Backup retention processing (KB3039)