Recently, Phuong Nguyen shared a backup strategy for a sysadmin about oracle backup. Today Phuong Nguyen shares with you in general about Backup
- 1 Part 1: Understanding the data
- 2 0.Classification of backup data
- 3 1. Backup object:
- 4 2. How long is the retention period?
- 5 3. Regulations on backup and incident recovery procedures
- 6 4. Backup and archiving strategy.
- 7 Part 2: Choosing backup software
- 8 Part 3 Experience sharing.
- 9 Part 4 Factors affecting
Part 1: Understanding the data
0.Classification of backup data
In fact, for businesses there are many types of data: Data is the heart of the business,
- There are raw data such as excel, doc, pdf, ..document files, usually included as fileserver,
- Digitized data such as invoice documents, software data in general included in the database group (SQL, Oracle, Mysql, SAP, ..)
- Drawing data for construction people, works: autocad, corell… this group is temporarily called specialized files and applications.
- Systematic data of IT eg: AD, DNS, DHCP, Email Exchange, Sharepoint … This group includes the system data of the Microsoft application system.
- Virtualization file data related to virtualization software such as Vsphere’s VMDK, MS Hyper-V’s VHDX, etc. This group includes a hybrid called system virtualization (Virtualization VM).
- Specialized data for applications specific to each ERP enterprise, … has a database like group 2 and access software.
- There are also other types of data: on cloud computing, ..
1. Backup object:
Based on the item classification of data for example what to backup, backup file server or Oracles
2. How long is the retention period?
Depending on company regulations, it is possible to invest in NAS, SAN. This section should have a description of the jobs that set up the backup time of the above objects. How many jobs are installed in a day, execution time, distance between jobs, how long to save backup.
3. Regulations on backup and incident recovery procedures
Including the host system containing the data or the centos virtual machine running oracel. if run physically, it contains data.
4. Backup and archiving strategy.
Backup strategy you can share: 3-2-1 rule rule
Backup to disk local (B2D): Local at the server contains data, this part must be the server’s local disk volume like DAS.
Backup To Cloud (B2C): like Azure, amazon, Google cloud… costs rent + software. Or local form bought in the country like Viettel, CMC, FPT all sell storage objects.
Backup to Tape: This is the traditional backup technology, simple and compact. When the backup is complete, we can supply the tape at another place to prevent the risk from happening at that location, then there is a tape tape to restore the data we need, this type of storage allows us to store in time. long, but the data is always in offline form, we have to manipulate some steps to be able to reuse the data. There are types of Tape Autoloader, tape LTO, ..
Disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T): Most IT environments are a mix of Disk and Tape backup, which requires fast recovery from disk with short lifecycle, and long-term backups we use. tapes. This is a multi-tier backup strategy called D2D2T
If available, there are HA server mechanisms. Wider than diasater site offline.
Part 2: Choosing backup software
- Oracel’s own solution can be used to backup Oracle Recovery Manager, ..
- Use third party products
- Veritas backup
- Commvault protect
Part 3 Experience sharing.
If running Physical server, you must backup the Host using the backup host meta, beta OS system and backup db tools.
If running Esxi Virtualization, Hyper-V:
- Backup full VM using Veeam backup
- Backup Internal VMs Centos Oracle back to the above ideas
Part 4 Factors affecting
Of course, a lot of money, fast backup and restore is also fast, depending on the needs of your business system. It’s like a side lever. When there is a problem, RTO is very important. Should consider. Money, of course. However, with money, you also have to know how to optimize your system, but share some of the following factors that affect backup:
- The speed of Networking if your business does not have a lot of money, try to take advantage of the performance of your 4 port servers, which can be collected by Teaming network, Swicth then lacp. And if you have a lot of money, you should erase it like running Switch 10-40G
- The network is done with the drive speed and caching factor for backup, so there is an SSD for caching backup. If you don’t have a lot of money, you should have a NAS DS 920, .. full disk is also ready for you. Remember to bond 2 NICs + SSD cache.
- After Network and Stoage, of course, the data and strategy above, need to have a clear backup schedule, and delete time. If the data is large, split multiple backup jobs